Understanding the Importance of General Dentistry
General dentistry in Edmonton does not receive as much love as it should, even though the bulk of most dental activities happen in general dentistry. Many patients will easily overlook the importance of general dentistry near them because they do not understand it. If you were to take time to study the significance of general dentistry, there isn’t a part of you that wouldn’t deeply appreciate the work that dentists in T6X 0K6 do.
What Is General Dentistry?
It is a specialty of dentistry that is the primary dental care unit for all dental needs and problems. Most, if not all, of the aspects of oral health, are attended to in general dentistry. In essence, if it is your first time visiting a dental clinic near you, you are most likely going to be attended to by a general dentist. However, it is not to say that general dentists in South West Edmonton work independently. A lot of the work and services offered in general dentistry call for inter-dependence with other dental specialties.
What Does General Dentistry Entail?
Dental professionals in general dentistry handle all kinds of dental needs. From maintaining and monitoring your oral health, to treating and repairing your dental features, there is a lot of work that general dentists do. The beauty of general dentistry is that it encompasses different aspects of dentistry so that every kind of dentist would still be relevant in general dentistry.
Common General Dentistry Services
To better understand what general dentistry is about, consider the following dental services offered in this specialty:
- Dental exams and complete diagnostic tests – routine dental exams to monitor your oral health are handled in general dentistry. Not only that but, if you need a full dental exam for diagnosis, you will also get it in general dentistry. This involves tests like x-rays and ultrasounds.
- Tooth repairs and restorations – covering dental procedures like root canals, tooth fillings, dental crowns, and even tooth extractions. Such restorative care is important for repairing and correcting and structural problems on your teeth that can compromise your oral health.
- Tooth replacement – including dental bridgework, oral implant installation, and restoration, partial and full denture placements, to mention a few. You will fully appreciate the importance of tooth replacement procedures when you have lost one or more of your natural teeth.
- Preventive dental care treatments and solutions – including dental sealants and fluoride treatment. While preventive dental care may not seem as beneficial at first, the benefits of never dealing with dental decay or tooth cavities will become your new reality.
- Orthodontic care – installing braces, adjusting them, and monitoring the progress of your treatment. Orthodontic care ensures that your teeth are straightened and properly aligned, for both cosmetic and functional purposes.
- Periodontal therapy – beginning with the detection of infections in your gums, offering necessary treatments, and monitoring the recovery of your gums.
- Nutritional counseling – did you know that dentists can help you with your dietary needs? Nutritional counseling will help you determine the right foods to eat and which to avoid. The service may also include vitamin supplementation to boost your oral and general health.
- Cosmetic improvements on your teeth – through procedures like professional teeth whitening, composite dental bonding, dental veneers, and crowning, to mention a few.
Why Is General Dentistry Important?
Given how much work general dentists do, it is not hard to figure out that general dentistry is an important aspect of dentistry. Still, consider the following benefits of general dentistry:
- Preservation of natural teeth and a healthy oral cavity
- Preventing dental emergencies.
- Saving costs – by avoiding future dental procedures that are rather expensive.
- Examining and monitoring your oral health constantly through regular dental exams.
- Boosting oral hygiene standards through routine dental cleanings.
- Detecting and diagnosing dental issues in their early stages, which allows for proper treatment.
- Boosting your self-confidence – ultimately, a healthy mouth equates to higher self-confidence.
- A huge network of dental experts – general dentists do not work alone. They largely liaise with other dental professionals to offer a wholesome dental experience to patients.
Along with dental plans from employers’ insurance, we also accept plans from the government, unions, retirement benefits, and stand-alone plans.
Accept All Major Insurances